By Robert Haugh
People who sued Santa Clara in the CVRA lawsuit and won looks like they’re continuing the fight with the City Council. But this time it’s about Councilman Kevin Park not getting a chance to speak an anti-Asian hate rally. Park did not RSVP for the rally. But he attended and only asked to speak with a few minutes left.
The CVRA group signed a letter to censure Councilwoman Kathy Watanabe as the organizer of the rally and admonish Mayor Lisa Gillmor for asking Park at a Council meeting if he would do anything differently.
Former Councilwoman Patty Mahan and her sister Jeannie Mahan added their names to the signers. The Mahans also assisted them in the CVRA in the lawsuit against the City.
Here’s are other things on the agenda:
- Proclamation of National Public Works Week 2021
- Recognition of Local Students for Community Wellness Initiative “Active Circle”
- Verbal Report from City Manager regarding COVID-19 Pandemic
- Discussion on Consideration of the Sale of the Loyalton Ranch Property (Continued from April 20, 2021)
- Discussion and Consideration to Establish a Boards and Commission Eligibility List Policy
- Council Discussion and Direction on proposed Charter Amendment to enact Council District elections and direction to return to the Council with an Ordinance to Enact the Court-Ordered Six-District Map
- Council Discussion and Direction on the 2021 Redistricting Process Based on 2020 Census Data
- Public Hearing: Final version of the FY21/22 Annual Action Plan for the use of Federal Housing and Urban Development Grant Funds
Additionally, the closed session portion includes:
- Conference with Legal Counsel-Existing Litigation — Omar Gomez v. City of Santa Clara, et al., United States District Court, Northern District of California Case No. 5:19-cv-05266-LHK
- Conference with Legal Counsel-Anticipated Litigation — Consideration of recommendations contained in the TAP International Financial Audit Titled “Contract Close Out Review: Convention and Visitor’s Bureau” (Continued from April 20, 2021)
- Conference with Legal Counsel-Existing Litigation — Lawrence E. Stone, Santa Clara County Assessor, Petitioner v. Santa Clara County Assessment Appeals Board No. 1, Respondent (Forty Niners SC Stadium Company LLC, Real Party in Interest), Santa Clara County Superior Court No. 19CV347946