By Robert Haugh
Here are tomorrow’s City Council meeting highlights:
- Study session on the former BAREC site agrihood project. Council will review disposition and development and project approval agreements for the 90 N. Winchester and 1834 Worthington Circle site. This project has had many lives. Now, we get to see a lot of it come together.
- Results of the second survey of the pilot residential food scraps recycling program will be reviewed. This may be a hot-button issue, as many residents have been unsatisfied with the program.
- Council may approve naming the Reed & Grant Street community center building the Jerry Marsalli community center.
- Council will consider Ana Vargas-Smith’s written request for sponsorship of the Parade of Champions. This is a wonderful idea. The parade was a very popular Mission City tradition that lasted decades and celebrated the Mission City. Vargas-Smith is among the active core of the Reclaiming Our Downtown group.
- Council will discuss the next steps or “procurement strategy” for the management of the Convention Center and Convention Visitors Bureau. We expect the Santa Clara Chamber of Commerce to make their case that they did not mismanage it. They’ve already sent out to their members a lot of their defense.
It doesn’t really matter since the decision has been made. But it’s good practice for the Chamber. The City has recommended the IRS and the FPPC also audit the Chamber’s past practices.