By Robert Haugh
Tomorrow’s Santa Clara City Council meeting has several interesting agenda items.
Among those include an item to discuss the potential creation of an Independent Ethics Commission. Mayor Lisa Gillmor proposed this last October after the Santa Clara County Civil Grand Jury recommended it.
But the 49er Five buried it.
Now, it’s coming back as renown ethics expert Dr. Tom Shanks and many community leaders questioning the ethics of the current City Council majority.
- Action on a Written Petition submitted by Councilmember Suds Jain requesting to place an agenda item at a future Council meeting to establish a budget for support of public meetings, outreach, for the Charter Review Committee, City webpages, and the cost of placing measures on the Ballot.
- Action on a Written Petition submitted by Mayor Gillmor and Councilmember Kathy Watanabe requesting to place an agenda item at a future Council meeting to schedule a special meeting to receive a detailed report from ManCo, the new Stadium Manager and staff including the Police Department to discuss the operations of the Stadium both inside and outside in the surrounding community as it relates to the soccer match which took place on July 2, 2023 between Mexico and Qatar.
- Public hearing: Discuss and consider the creation of an Independent Ethics Commission
- Public hearing: Approve updated process for Mayor and Council calling a Special Meeting
- Public hearing: Responses to City Council questions regarding the Cleanup Campaign alternatives and community survey results presentation from the April 18, 2023 City Council Meeting and action to authorize the City Manager to negotiate and execute an amendment to the Exclusive Franchise Agreement with Mission Trail Waste Systems to add more disposal days at the Mission Trail Transfer Station.
- Public hearing: Adoption of a Resolution confirming the Weed Abatement report and ordering the cost of abatement to be a Special Assessment on the respective properties described therein.
- Closed session: Conference with Real Property negotiators — 925 Walsh Avenue, Santa Clara — Negotiating Parties: City of Santa Clara and PSB Northern California Industrial Portfolio LLC
- Closed session: Conference with Legal Counsel-Existing Litigation — City of Santa Clara v. PSB Northern California Industrial Portfolio LLC, Santa Clara County Superior Court Case No. 21CV376062