By Robert Haugh
Tomorrow’s City Council meeting is yet another special meeting. As we’ve written before, this new City Council will be breaking some records — and not in a good way. The City Council has new members who don’t know alot about city government and people who have long debates.
Here are items on the agenda:
- Reconsideration of Council Action-Reconsideration of Council action taken at the June 22, 2021 requesting “discussion on Amendment No. 3 to the Exclusive Negotiation Agreement by and between the City, VTA and Republic Metropolitan LLC for a project located at 500 S. Benton Street
- Study Session on the California Department of Housing and Community Development’s (HCD) Project HomeKey
- Presentation of 2021 City of Santa Clara/Silicon Valley Power Scholarships
- Action on a Resolution of the City Council to Proclaim a Local Emergency Regarding the Drought
- Verbal Report from City Manager regarding COVID-19 Pandemic
- Consideration of Silicon Valley Power Quarterly Strategic Plan Update (Deferred from July 6, 2021)
- Update on Sustainability Program and Provide Feedback on Program Priorities
- Confirmation on the Addition of New Actions to Achieve the Interim Target of 2035 for Climate Action Plan (CAP) Update
- Public Hearing: Action on a Resolution Confirming the 2021 Weed Abatement Program and Assessment
- Discussion and Action on Councilmember Kathy Watanabe’s Request to Prepare a Letter from the Mayor and the City Council to the California Citizens Redistricting Commission
- Discussion and Action on Councilmember Anthony Becker’s request to Prepare a Public Apology to the Residents of Santa Clara for the CVRA Lawsuit
- Consideration and Council Action on Ana Vargas-Smith’s Request for Financial Subsidy and Dedication of In-kind Services from the City of Santa Clara for Either Plan A or Plan B Event Concepts for the Parade of Champions to Take Place in October 2021.
- Action on a Written Petition (Council Petition 030) Submitted by Councilmember Suds Jain Requesting to Place an Agenda Item at a Future Meeting to Discuss Creating a Special Ad Hoc Committee Consisting of Residents and Representatives of Housing Advocacy Groups to Discuss only the issues Concerning the Unhoused Population
- Action on a Written Petition (Council Petition 030) Submitted by Councilmember Jain Requesting to Place an Agenda Item at the August 17, 2021 Goal Setting Meeting to Consider Topics Such as Staffing and Resources, Consultants, Budget, Council Direction on Densities, Car Parking Strategy, Coordination with VTA and San Jose, and Timeline for Implementing a Station Area Plan.