By Burt Field
In a recent story from the San Francisco Chronicle we learned how the 49er-friendly Santa Clara City Council will try and fire City Attorney Brian Doyle tomorrow.
In that story, the 49er-friendly Councilmembers: Anthony Becker, Raj Chahal, Suds Jain, and Kevin Park wouldn’t comment on why.
But we know why.
Brian Doyle blew the whistle on the team for breaking local and state laws.
Brian Doyle also led the legal battle to stop the 49ers from lowering their own rent. That resulted in a swing of $180 million in our favor.
Brian Doyle has been Standing Up for Santa Clara.
Now, we need to stand up for Brian Doyle.
Please send a message today before 5 pm. The meeting starts today at 5:30 pm with public comment.
Don’t let them get away with a secret, closed-door meeting with no public comment. That’s what they want. That was clear from Becker’s email.
You can email a comment to PublicComment@santaclaraca.gov. Include “Don’t Fire Brian Doyle” in your subject line.
Or click this link to the comment section on the City Council meeting website.
Here are some messages you can send:
- Jed York spent $3 million to elect 3 Councilmembers: Becker, Jain, and Park. Now they are paying him back by firing a good city attorney who stands up to the team.
- Rather than follow local and state laws, the 49ers would rather get rid of the city attorney so they can do as they please.
- We expect our City Council to represent the best interests of Santa Clara, not an NFL franchise who tried to take our soccer park and routinely violates our curfew laws. Getting rid of Brian Doyle will be the next step in their effort to take over Santa Clara.
- It’s shameful that the City Council wants to fire Brian Doyle in a secret meeting behind closed doors. If you want to help Jed York, do it publicly in front of Santa Clarans.
Here’s how to watch and comment:
- Via Zoom: https://santaclaraca.zoom.us/j/99706759306
Meeting ID: 997-0675-9306
Phone: 1(669) 900-6833
- Via the City’s eComment (now available during the meeting)
- Via email to PublicComment@santaclaraca.gov
- As always, the public may view the meetings on SantaClaraCA.gov, Santa Clara City Television (Comcast cable channel 15 or AT&T U-verse channel 99), or the live stream on the City’s YouTube channel or Facebook page.
Thank you for your help.
Editor’s Note: Burt Field is co-founder of Stand Up for Santa Clara, a grass-roots watchdog organization born out of the fight to save the Santa Clara Youth Soccer Park in 2015.