By Robert Haugh
Yesterday, Mayor Lisa Gillmor co-signed an opinion piece with Larry McColloch (District 2 Council Candidate) and Christian Pellecchia (District 3 Council Candidate) in the Mercury News.
They touched on all the hot issues in Santa Clara:
- The 49ers’ massive campaign spending to elect Councilmembers Anthony Becker, Raj Chahal and Karen Hardy;
- The fact that the team hasn’t paid a dime to the City’s general fund in four years;
- The Grand Jury Report says Becker, Chahal and Hardy have sold out Santa Clarans to help the 49ers;
- A warning from an ethicist about Becker, Chahal, and Hardy’s unethical behavior and possible corruption; and
- The firing of City Manager Deanna Santana and City Attorney Brian Doyle at the team’s request and replacing them at a cost that’s almost $3 million this year. Wow.
But they probably saved the best line in their second to the last paragraph.
Finally, it’s important to note that we face great odds to create higher ethical standards in Santa Clara. Santa Clara political campaigns usually spend $10,000 to $45,000. The 49ers have spent more than $3 million against us using mostly negative advertising. To say we are engaged in a David-versus-Goliath battle is an understatement. We feel like we’re up against the Death Star. However, we are willing to challenge a special interest using money and negative campaigns to control City Hall.
Star Wars fans would understand the feeling. So would any Mission City resident whose mailbox has been flooded with 49ers mail and screens running negative ads.
The three candidates close with the question that everyone seems to be asking these days:
For the sake of Santa Clara’s future, our voters have a clear choice: Do we want to be governed by an NFL football team or city leaders who are independent?
May the Force will be with them.