By Robert Haugh
Tomorrow’s Santa Clara City Council meeting has another long agenda and a controversial one.
Some City Councilmembers want to eliminate the elected Police Chief and City Clerk. Both are rights Santa Clara voters have in our City Charter.
Some residents want indicted City Councilmember Anthony Becker to resign. They’ll ask for item to be officially agendized at a future Council meeting.
- Study session to review proposed FY 2023/24 and FY 2024/25 Biennial Operating Budget and FY 2023/24 Capital Improvement Program Budget changes
- Study session — Presentation on timelines and administrative requirements for placement of Ballot Measures on the March and/or November 2024 ballot including consideration of amendments to the City Charter to change the Police Chief and/or City Clerk from Elected to Appointed positions and consideration of an action to approve a Work Plan for same, including possible formation of a Charter Review Committee
- Recognition of Santa Clara University Student graduate Kairan Quazi
- Proclaim June 19, 2023 as Juneteenth
- Proclaim June 2023 as LGBTQIA+ Pride month
- Consent calendar — Informational report and status update on the Morse Mansion
- Public Hearing: Adoption of a Resolution approving the Levy of Benefit Assessment upon the City of Santa Clara Parking Maintenance District No. 122 – Franklin Square
- Public Hearing: Adoption of a Resolution approving the Levy of Benefit Assessment Upon the Santa Clara Convention Center Complex – Maintenance District No. 183
- Public Hearing: Action on Resolutions approving Water, Sewer and Recycled Water amended Rates to be effective July 1, 2023
- Public Hearing — Note and File the Resolutions of the Salary Setting Commission establishing as unchanged the salary for the positions of Mayor and Council and City Clerk, and increasing the salary for the position of Police Chief to $313,692/annually; and action to adopt a Resolution approving and adopting the updated Unclassified/Elected Salary Plan for the position of Police Chief for the Period of July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2025
- Action on a written petition submitted by Howard Myers requesting to place an agenda item on a future Council meeting to request that Councilmember Anthony Becker resign from the Council.