Top-Ranked Breweries Now in the Mission City
By Robert Haugh
The Mission City is known for hi-tech, youth sports championships, Great America, and, for better or worse, being the home of the 49ers and Levi’s Stadium.
Santa Clara is also the home of two breweries receiving rave reviews from beer aficionados.
Golden State Brewery, which opened in Feb. 2016, is the first brewery in the Mission City since prohibition. They’re in the old Memorex building at 1252 Memorex Drive. The brewery has quickly garnered great accolades. On Yelp, they boast a stellar 4-½ star rating.
The reviews discuss the quality beer, presentation, atmosphere, and the venue being dog-friendly. Here’s what some of the 91 Yelp reviewers say:
- “My favorite brewery in the South Bay.”
- “I love all of GSB’s beers, favorites being the Nitro Coffee Stout and Honey Ale.”
- “Chill place– great beers, dog friendly, you can bring outside food, and games galore. I love it.”
The Mercury news did a nice overview last year.
Golden State Brewery is open Tuesday to Friday 3 to 9 p.m., Saturdays 12 to 8 p.m. and Sundays 12 to 5 p.m.
In the Franklin Square in downtown Santa Clara, you’ll find Taplands Brewery. Also very highly regarded by patrons, Taplands is a “neighborhood brewery.” They brew beer in small batches, 15-30 gallons at a time. The brewery makes craft beer exclusively for the customers of their taproom.
Taplands has 120 Yelp reviews, boasting a 4-½ star rating. Here are some comments:
- “Best brewery in South Bay without a doubt.”
- “I won’t classify myself as a regular but this is one place I’m proud to take my friends from the city or from other states. They have a great selection of taps.”
- “For all the beer connoisseurs, I would definitely recommend the unique Sid’s Serrano Pale Ale. I haven’t tasted anything remotely awesome as this one.”This place has a super chill vibe especially in the patio area … Definite recommend to anybody who loves to chill out with a great beer.”
They also stock a wide variety of craft beers, ales and hard ciders. In addition, their taproom features a rotation of 24 beers and ales, celebrating the California beer scene. They feature drinks from Bay Area breweries especially lesser known, but still top-notch beers. They also offer appetizers and Panini sandwiches.
They’re open Monday to Wednesday 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to midnight and Sunday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Taplands is located at 1171 Homestead Road – between Lafayette and Monroe.