By Robert Haugh
The August Council calendars were recently published. They show that the “49er Five” had multiple meetings in the weeks leading up to the termination of City Attorney Brian Doyle.
The 49ers pushed the people they got elected to get rid of Doyle.
Councilmen Suds Jain and Anthony Becker had three meetings with the 49ers:
- August 2 (stadium operations, training camp, swag and Jerry Rice event and Levi’s signage);
- August 15 (stadium operations, training camp fire violations, Levi’s signage, vaccinations, SBL collections, staffing needs for ticketed public events, procurement Director and public safety costs) and
- August 25 (stadium operations, Amanino FMS, marketing plan, procurement manager, Levi’s signage, and FIFA).
Jain also had a phone meeting with 49ers executive Rahul Chandhok on August 30 regarding canceling an August 30 meeting and climate change. That’s interesting because that’s a topic Chandhok has never discussed before with any Council members.
Vice Mayor Raj Chahal had two meetings with the 49ers:
- August 18 (stadium operations, Levi’s signage, staffing and budget)
- August 25 (stadium operations, Levi’s signage, procurement manager, accounting package staffing)
Councilwoman Karen Hardy had one meeting with the 49ers on August 13, which included Chahal. But the meeting is missing from Chahal’s calendar. It’s not the first time the 49er Five have failed to report meetings with the team, a violation of a city ordinance.
The Hardy (and Chahal) meeting was regarding stadium operations, signage replacement, training camp, catered events, requested reports not called out in management agreement and public safety costs.
Some Other interesting Meetings
Jain had a meeting with lobbyist Kevin Moore on August 23 regarding City politics, the 49ers and beautification. That’s interesting because Moore reports he has three development clients (Republic Metro, Kylli and Raj Arnmillo). But he’s not being officially paid by the 49ers to lobby for them. Residents have heard Moore complaining about Doyle recently.
Jain also recorded an August 31 meeting with former Councilman Pat Kolstad regarding a closed session meeting. Wow. He’s meeting with others on confidential items. This must have been regarding the closed session on September 1 where Jain was one of the five votes to fire Doyle. This will likely raise questions for Doyle and his attorney.
Councilman Kevin Park, Mayor Lisa Gillmor and Councilwoman Kathy Watanabe had no meetings with the 49ers. Park was reportedly in Korea most of the month.