By Robert Haugh
Last week, Santa Clara Councilman Suds Jain proposed letting the 49ers use the Youth Soccer Park for game day parking for the team’s VIPs.
The youth soccer community successfully fought an attempt by the 49ers to take over the Youth Soccer Park in 2015.
Field and many other community leaders believe the team is making another attempt to do it again. This time they have the initial support of the 49er Five. Those are Councilmembers who the team helped get elected and are friendly to them.
Field criticizes Jain for not meeting with the youth soccer community. That’s why Jain didn’t seem to know the obvious. The league doesn’t schedule games on national holiday weekends. One reader from Jain’s council district called it a “bone head move.”
Jain made his proposal after meeting with multiple 49er executives at the January 2nd game at Levi’s Stadium.
In an official memo that Jain submitted to the City Council, he admits to meeting with members of the team’s front office for a stadium tour before the 49ers-Texans game. Those individuals are:
- Rahul Chandhok, Vice President (VP) of Public Affairs and Strategic Communications
- Jas Sajjan, Senior Manager of Public Affairs & Strategic Communications
- Larry MacNeil, Compliance Manager
- Emily Matthews, Manager of Communications and Public Affairs
- Moon Javaid, Chief Strategy Officer
- Jim Mercurio, Stadium Manager
Looks like none of them told Jain that youth soccer games are not scheduled on holiday weekends.