By Robert Haugh
In Santa Clara, outdoor dining is already allowed at some restaurants.
Now all Mission City restaurants can apply for a permit to set up dining outside.
Restaurants can apply online. The application and review are free.
Permit fees usually cost $2,000 to $6,000 but will be waived. The process usually takes three months but will be fast tracked now.
The idea was pushed by Councilwoman Kathy Watanabe in May.
Watanabe represents the Northside. She initially asked if Rivermark restaurants could set up outside during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Then, her idea expanded to cover the entire City.
City staff will review proposals to make sure they are handicap accessible and other basic requirements. Restaurants can use up to 50 percent of their parking area for outdoor dining.
Completed applications can also be emailed to Planning@santaclaraca.gov.
For questions, email Planning@santaclaraca.gov or call 408-615-2450.
Santa Clara Restaurants
Here’s a list we’ve publicized in the past of some Mission City businesses that are open and offering to-go or delivery options.
- Tony & Alba’s Pizza on Stevens Creek
- Mio Vicino at Franklin Square — Offering a $12.99 takeout special if you mention “stuck inside” at order.
- Fiorillo’s — open for takeout, delivery and outdoor dining.
- Mountain Mike’s Pizza at Franklin Square — open for takeout and delivery.
- China Stix at Santa Clara Town Centre — open 7 days a week for takeout.
- Neto’s Sausage — online ordering only for delivery.
- Taplands Neighborhood Brewery on Homestead at Franklin Square — open for delivery and limited hours for outdoor dining.
- Jiaren Cafe in Franklin Square — offering delivery and takeout orders
- Voyager Craft Coffee on Stevens Creek —offering takeout and delivery
- Mission City Grill — open for takeout, delivery and limited outdoor dining.
- La Paloma — open for takeout and delivery
- Freedom Burrito — open for takeout and delivery
- Taste of Pho at 2450 El Camino — open for takeout
- Seniore’s Pizza on Monroe — open for takeout and delivery
- Lock Chun on Stevens Creek near Woodhams — open for take out
- El Amigo Burrito Stevens Creek near Woodhams — open for take out
- A Slice of New York Pizza on Stevens Creek — open for takeout. Also now offering personal 10” pizzas.
- Crepes Bistro on Washington Street — open for takeout and delivery
- Chef Ming’s — On Washington Street open for takeout
- Pizza Guys — Open for delivery and takeout
- White Elephant Thai on El Camino at Lafayette — open for takeout and delivery
- Ramen One on Saratoga — open for takeout and delivery
- Poor Boys on Homestead — open for takeout and delivery
- Bay Area Pizza — open for takeout
- Zanotto’s Markets— offering a dedicated hour 8 to 9 a.m. to shopping for those over 60.
- Stan’s Donuts — takeout/pickup only
- Armadillos Willy’s — open for takeout and delivery
Editor’s Note: Please call businesses or check their social media updates for hours and specials. Delivery services like Caviar, DoorDash, GrubHub, Coffee Growlers and others are available. Many have no-contact delivery options.